Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Eli's Birth Story

I always like reading birthstories and even though I know I am not a good writer I will attempt to put his story into words and hopefully I won't ramble with it too much!

Since I found out I was pregnant (well aqctually even before that) I was hoping to have a natural drug free labor. I read all the birthing books I could find and felt like I would be prepared and could handle it all, I even hired a Doula (which was definetly money well spent). I think the main reason I wanted to give birth without drugs was because of how I felt after Rowan was born. I was induced with Rowan by having my water broken. I spent the whole day in bed and couldn't relax enough to let my body do what it needed to do. Of course it was much easier after having the drugs. First nubain then an epidural.

The day after rowan was born I was so out of it, I felt like I couldn't wake up at all. I ended up with an episiotomy and tearing which meant A LOT of stitches. The next at least 6 weeks were awful; so much pain, headaches, I couldn't even bend over to get him out of the bassinett. I really think all this was due to the epidural and episiotomy- which just made me more determined to do things differently this time.

Ok now Eli's story:

Since the Dr. wouldn't let me go past 40weeks 6days because of the gestational diabetes, we were told to check in to the hospital Thursday June 26th at 9pm (it would have been earlier, but they were full). At 10:30pm I finally saw the Dr. who came in to check me and put in the cervidil. Once again, I had no change in my cervix. I had to be hooked up to the monitor for two hours after the cervidil was inserted. Since I couldn't sleep on my back and knocked the monitor off everytime I moved, I was wide awake until the monitor came off at 12:30am. They offered me a sleeping pill(I took half a dose) and said I would be woken up at 5:30am!!

They lied and let us sleep until 7:30am! The cervidil came out and I got to shower and get ready for my exciting day. We got moved to a 'real" room and just waited. Our doula (T) was already there and we spent the next 2 hours watching cable tv before the midwife came in (did I mention they were busy?). At 9:30am the midwife came to check me, surprise, surprise I was still not dilated at all. Which meant I would get pitocin- my biggest fear. I really was hoping to get to use the hot tub and thought the water was the only way I would be able to do it naturally. I even started thing my body wasn't going to do anything this time and I would end up with a c-section.

The pitocin was started and I was put on the monitor. They did have a wireless monitor which meant I would be able to get up and walk around I just had to take the IV pole with me. T- the doula thought I should try to rest while I could so I stayed in bed for a while. Since I had slept pretty good the night before I wasn't tired so we watched episodes of House Hunters. The contractions started after an hour or so but were pretty mild. After a while we started walking the halls, Mike stayed in the room to rest and I talked with T in between contractions. The nurse kept increasing the pitocin, but the contractions were still pretty mild.

Around 12pm we went back to the room so they could get a good reading on the baby, the wireless monitor still messes up some when walking around. I got in bed to be monitored and T went to eat lunch. She came back around 1pm, and Mike went to eat lunch. After All My Children was over T and I went to walk again. Contractions were getting stronger but I still felt good about it. When we went back to the room I was getting a bit more uncomfortable. T did a great job of helping me relax during contractions and I still felt good. She went and got a birth ball for me to try and it felt really good to sit on that.

After a few more contractions, she had me stand up and lean into Mike during contractions this was at 1:50pm (I have a pic that's how I know the time!). This felt pretty good, but the contractions were getting a lot stronger. During the contractions I started to doubt that I could do much more, but didn't want to say it out loud- yet, after all between contractions I felt good and realize I could do it. I finally said it outloud and T suggested I do a few more and she would go see if the midwife would come check me. I was thinking that I was probably 4-5cm and that I was probably a wuss and just couldn't handle it. She suggested I try a new postition- on my side on the bed.

I wanted to go to the bathroom before I layed down, but the second I sat down I had another contraction and it was strong and I didn't like being a lone so I stood up and walked out of the bathroom. I think I said again that I couldn't do this anymore. I layed down on the bed and immediately my body started pushing. T aked if I felt "pushy" and I said no I had to go to the bathroom (well that's what it felt like :)). She went to check on the midwife and my body kept pushing! When no one came right away, I pushed the call button. I still thought I was not very far along and I knew I couldn't do it much longer without drugs.

The midwife and nurse came in and I asked for something/ anything! She wanted to check me first and I had to move up in the bed. I had not been checked since the morning when the started the pitocin, she said I was complete and could start pushing! I think I was a little shocked, I mean the contractions had only been really strong for the past 30mins. or so. Pushing was definetly hard and exhausting, I didn't feel like I was having contractions anymore so I didn't feel an "urge" to push like I had when I first got on the bed. But it had to be done, I think it was about 10mins of pushing- it seemed like hours! He was born at 2:32pm. It all went so fast- the nurses even commented on how I was just walking the halls smiling and talking! I did have a pretty big tear- but no cutting.

I'm not sure if it was the fact that I didn't have drugs or episiotomy, or maybe it's just cause my body's done it before; but, I have felt really good. A little sore, but not bad at all. I was up and moving that night and didn't feel like I had to wake Mike to help me to the bathroom in the middle of the night! I know that I couldn't have done it without our doula, and Mike (who was skeptical at first) agreed. I would recommend a doula to anyone, it was just so nice to have the extra support. So if anyone (locally) is interested let me know and I'll give you her name!

Eli had a little problems breathing and with his oxygen levels at first, I did get to hold him for quite a while though. Then they sent him to the nursery to be observed. Mike went with him, but I felt a little lost with out him so soon. I got moved to a postpartum room and Mike brought him back after maybe 3hours. He checked out good and his apgars were 9 and 9- despite the breathing issues. He's been perfect ever since and we can't get enough of him!


Looseyfur said...

Fabulous job, mama! And yes, Doulas rock!

Mommy Schiff said...

I love reading birth stories too. Yours is awesome! You rock! I got Pitocin with Jumping Bean and I couldn't take the contractions after about an hour so I ended up with an epidural. But then again after 10 hours in labor I never progressed past 2 cm so I had to have an emergency c-section. But enough about me....YOU ROCK!
I'm glad you got to have a drug-free birth like you wanted. You did awesome, and you have 2 beautiful babies =)

Quigs78 said...

Millions of women have done it, but reading birth stories is still amazing to me.

Good job, R! You and M make beautiful babies!

Rudy said...

Haha, I am a little late :) But your birth story was great. I had a doula too and loved it. She was amazing. I am glad you had such a peaceful birth. Happy birthday again to Eli! What a sweet gift he is.