Monday, March 23, 2009

Just Another Monday


Two weeks ago, very early Monday morning I woke up sick to my stomach. I spent the next few hours awake in the bathroom and the rest of the day trying to rest while taking care of two kids.

Last Monday Eli woke up early from his morning nap puking. He threw up for the next several hours. I sat on the couch holding him- either while he slept or with a towel to his face when he puked.

This morning I put Eli down for his nap, he woke up early yet again, I didn't think much of it and decided to give him a few minutes to see if he'd fall back asleep. I even thought to myself- hhmm wonder if he's getting sick. I didn't REALLY think he was, so when I finally went in the room I was quite surprised to see that his crib, blankets, and of course himself were all covered in puke!I spent the next few hours on the couch holding him while he slept or vomited into the towel. I'm really not one to call the doctor's office all the time, but he puked up some blood (just a bit) and I just wanted to be reassured that this was ok (it is). So I was kind of surprised when she started looking for a time to get him to be seen, and even more surprised when she said they thought he might be getting dehydrated since he was still getting sick so often and hadn't eaten or drank anything. She thought we should probably go to the ER to see if he needed an IV.

Even though I KNEW he was ok, just sick. The minute she told me ER I was seriously freaking out- imagining all the major serious probelms that maybe he was having. This was our first experience w/ this, Rowan was never even sick (besides a cold) until he was almost 18months, and now in the past 4-5 weeks Eli has thrown up (a lot) on 3 different days! So we went to the ER. Mike was in town so I drove in all by myself to get him, and occasionally reaching back to touch Eli and make sure he was still breathing (he was never having any breathing issues, just part of me freaking out). Of course w/in minutes of being at the hospital he was more alert than he had been all day, so I'm sure they thought we were crazy. I made a point of saying- a few times- that our doctor's office said we should come. The ER doc was really nice and watched him a little, and showed me how to push down on his nail to check for dehydration (that would 've been nice to know before..) he said if he was nursing(which he wouldn't do till we were there) then he would rather him just do that than give him any medicine so we were out pretty quick (well ER quick). So next time I think we'll just tell him we're going to the ER and see if he gets better, I'm thinking that's the trick.

Oh and as if I didn't have enough laundry to do from all the puking, when I first got Eli up and took off his pukey clothes, I walked with him to the bathroom to get a towel. I saw the basket of CLEAN clothes I had just taken out of the dryer, so I bent down to get a towel out of it and- what else- Eli puked ALL over the whole basket of clean clothes!! NICE!!


Anonymous said...

Poor Eli. I feel so bad for him ! And for you too having to wash all the clothes over again !! Mom

Anonymous said...

I hope Eli is feeling better, Rachel. That got me worried too. Poor little guy! And hope you are also feeling ok now. hopefully, it was just some passing thing and that he was dehydrated? Joan

Quigs78 said...

I hope it was just a 24 hour thing and he's feeling better now!

(And that it doesn't happen again NEXT Monday!)

Anonymous said...

poor eli i hope he feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

hope eli is better

Harley Quinn said...

I do hate that when you check in in the ER and your kids suddenly feels all better. All the while you're completely freaking out. Yeah, it's happened to me on more than one occasion.

$2,478 later...and everything is fine.

It's crappy that your doctor didn't just take a look at him, but glad to hear he's feeling better!!